FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL: Wednesday, September 1, 2021
Office Opens: Wednesday, August 18, 2021 - 9AM - 3PM
July 20, 2021
Greetings parents and community,
As principal of Moses Lake High School, it is my pleasure to welcome everyone back for the 2021-22 school year where excitement abounds, relationships strengthen, and learning continues at high levels! It is always energizing to see students fill the hallways with smiles and see classrooms filled with students who rise to challenges. After a year of being immersed in a global pandemic, we are so excited to start a new year filled with new beginnings! We will continue with the work that leads to empowering our students to become independent thinkers as well as productive, contributing members of our community. It takes all of us...students, staff, families, and the community...to provide the best learning opportunities for our students!
We are committed to providing students with opportunities to challenge themselves, make sense of their learning, and pose and discuss great questions. In today’s world, it is important that students leave Moses Lake High School with a strong foundation so they can compete in the ever-changing economy. Whatever route a student chooses to pursue after high school, it is imperative they are prepared. Moses Lake High School has many opportunities for students to do just that. We want students to take the fullest advantage of their high school education. As a result, our students have full schedules and are encouraged to have at least one class that challenges them. It is through challenges that students truly stretch and grow. A rigorous, high-quality education for ALL students not only makes them well-rounded, but gives them the best preparation for life beyond high school. Yes, there are bumps in the road when excellence is sought. Through support, teamwork, and acknowledging that such struggles and mistakes are necessary, growth occurs. AND, this, coupled with grit and persistence is cause to celebrate and acknowledge that these are signs that our students are learning at high levels. Learning is about growth and embracing high expectations together!
Our vision statement states it well:
ASPIRE ~~ BELIEVE ~~ CONNECT
so each student has life-long success.
Thank you for your support, concern, and interest in our student's education! I anticipate an outstanding year of growth and learning!
Triscia Hochstatter, Principalthochstatter@mlsd161.org
September 8th, 2020
September 8, 2020
Dear Moses Lake High School Families,
Even though we continue an educational journey unlike any other, it is still with great enthusiasm that we welcome you back to the 2020-2021 school year! Regardless of the learning option your student will engage, we are very excited to make connections with families and students. Our students have two options: “Phase-in, On-campus” and “Digital Remote/APEX.” Both models will be starting the year remotely. As health conditions improve, the students in the “Phase-in, On-campus” model will start phasing into coming to campus for classes. The “Digital Remote/APEX” model is a digital program and will never phase back onto the MLHS campus. If students are interested in CBTech classes, they must be in the “Digital Remote/APEX” learning model.
We care deeply for our students and realize we need to work in partnership with you to fully support the learning, social and emotional needs of our students, and to accomplish this, communication is important. Please don’t hesitate at any point in the year, to contact any of your student’s teachers, their counselor, or any member of the administrative team with any questions you may have.
School begins with conferences for all K-12 students. A staff member will be contacting you soon to schedule a conference on one of the following days - September 9, 10 or 11. I know this is last minute, but it is our desire to meet with you to inform you of the student’s learning plan/schedule for the year. Most conferences will be conducted remotely through Zoom or Google Meet and may be set up as meetings with up to five families. This will be an opportunity for you to ask questions as well as receive important information to be informed for a great start of the school year.
To help you navigate the start of the new year, copied below is information about upcoming dates and other important information. For those of you enrolled in the “Phase-in, On-campus” learning model, please pay special attention to the Remote Student Learning Plan/Schedule.
FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL: When does remote learning at the high school begin?
- The first day of school is Monday September 14.
- Expect to receive email communication from your teachers regarding your google classroom codes and other pertinent class information. (Make sure that your contact information in Skyward is correct.)
- Yes, attendance will be taken during remote learning in all models. Districts are required to take attendance daily for each class period. It is important to know when students are missing instructional time so our staff can work with families to help students engage in their learning.
- An absence from remote learning is when a student is not participating in planned instructional activities on their scheduled remote learning day.
“Phase-in, On-campus” REMOTE STUDENT LEARNING PLAN/SCHEDULE
- 2020-21 Remote Student Learning Schedule
- This schedule outlines when students are expected to engage in their learning as well as communicates when teacher office hours are available for each period.
LEARNING OPTION TERMS: What is the difference between Digital Learning using APEX and MLHS remote instruction?
- Families who have chosen option 3 (digital/remote instruction for the full semester) will be enrolled in a standalone program, called APEX. You will be contacted by your APEX instructor.
- Families who have chosen options 1,2 or 4 (combined as the single Phased-In On-campus option) will be provided remote instruction by their MLHS classroom teacher using Google Classroom until students may safely return to the school building. Those students will need to pick up their core subject textbooks and wait to hear from their classroom teachers.
CLASS SCHEDULES: When will my child receive his or her class schedule?
- While student class schedules are now viewable on skyward, student schedules are still being adjusted, so expect some changes throughout this week.
- Students should have their completed schedules by the end of the week.
- The following week will be spent still making sure all students have the courses they need for graduation requirements, so expect some changes throughout the next couple of weeks.
TEXTBOOKS: How can my child pick up textbooks without a schedule?
- Students will be collecting the standard English (Springboard) textbook and math textbooks as well as EL student workbooks. Schedules are not needed for the distribution of those items.
When will textbooks be distributed?
- Grade 9: Wednesday, September 9 from 8-2pm
- Grade 10: Thursday, September 10 from 8-2pm
- Grades 11 & 12: Friday, Sept 11 from 8-2pm
- Distribution Requirements
- Students will line up in the Commons front courtyard, using the 6 ft spacing guidelines.
- All students are required to wear face coverings.
- Students are asked to bring their student picture ID for textbook pickup.
CHROMEBOOKS & WiFi: How will my student receive a chromebook, or have their broken chromebook repaired? What about Chromebook insurance? What about student Google password reset? Are there free wifi hotspots?
- Student chromebooks for newly enrolled students will be distributed during their textbook distribution day.
- Students with a malfunctioning chromebook may swap theirs out for a functioning one during their textbook distribution day.
- Signs will direct students to the outside school door (100 hall) for this service.
- Face coverings are required for this service.
- Student Google passwords were reset for this school year. Link for Google Password Reset Portal Student passwords will be reset using the standard default password of: Fall2020## (## is the last two numbers of student ID)
- Chromebook insurance: Please pay chromebook insurance fee via Skyward. If you need to pay cash or check, our cashier will be set up in the commons on your textbook distribution day. Pay first then fill out the form so you have a receipt #.
- Chromebook User Agreement & Insurance for the 2020-2021 School Year
- Acuerdo de usuario y Seguro para Chromebook 2020-21 año escolar
- Yes, there are 20 free drive-in hotspots, click this link to find out about them: 20 Drive-In Free Wifi locations
YEARBOOKS: Can my student order a yearbook?
- ‘20-'21 MLHS Yearbook for sale online now.
- Purchase before October 11th for best pricing and student name embossed on front cover.
- Direct Link to order your Yearbook: https://www.yearbookordercenter.com/index.cfm/job/7161
STUDENT ID/PICTURES: Will there be another school picture/student ID day?
Yes! Dorian’s Studio will be on the MLHS campus for picture make ups on:
- Grades 9-10: Wednesday, September 23 from 8-noon
- Grades 11-12: Thursday, September 24 from 8-noon
- Line up in the Commons courtyard and proceed into the Commons one at a time for photos.
- Students are required to wear face coverings.
- **If you’ve already had your picture taken in August, be sure to complete your picture orders online asap. Link for Dorian Pictures Order for Aug photos
- All parents and students will be required to complete and abide by school campus expectations - a Commitment Form will need to be completed before school starts. This form will soon be available.
- Any events, such as textbook distribution, occurring at the high school will require that face coverings be worn and that physical distancing guidelines are practiced.
- Late start has been moved from Monday to Wednesday which will have more of an impact once we start phasing back to on-campus learning.
- First period classes have been eliminated with the exception of a few music classes. Essentially all students will be on the same bell schedule for this school year if you are on the “Phase-in, On-campus” learning model.
- All visitors will need to complete a Visitor Self-Screening form before entering the building. There is a QR code posted on our front door to help access this form - it can also be found on the MLSD webpage. Visitor Self-Screening Form
I realize this is a lot of information to digest. Please don’t hesitate to contact us with questions you have. As different as this year may be, we still care deeply about each of our students and families, and we will navigate these waters together! It is our goal to make this an outstanding year, full of new learning and experiences, regardless of the learning option you have selected.
If you have any questions feel free to call the office at 509-766-2666. For more information, you can also go to the MLHS website at http://mlhs.mlsd161.org/
I can’t say it enough...learning is about believing in yourself, growth, and embracing high expectations together!
Our vision statement states it well:
ASPIRE ~~ BELIEVE ~~ CONNECT
so each student has life-long success.
Thank you for your support, concern, and interest in our students’ education! I anticipate an outstanding year of learning!