Skip to main content
Moses Lake High School
Mobile Menu Toggle

Principal's Message

MLHS Office Hours: 7AM - 3:30PM


August 2023


Greetings, Students and Families,


As we prepare to begin the 2023-24 school year at Moses Lake High School, I want to take this opportunity to welcome all of our new and returning students and their families back for another school year.   Reflecting on last year, I am confident, as always, that this will be a great year to be a Mav.  


This will be my 8th year at Moses Lake High school, where I had served as an Assistant Principal prior to my new role as school Principal.  This will be my 42nd year of working with students professionally in the high school setting.  yes, it's true; I enjoy working with teenagers.  Adolescents bring such an intersection of potential, fearlessness, and creativity to all those who spend time with them.  


In past years, we have focused our attention on student connection and engagement with all that we undertook at the high school.  We will continue that emphasis, with an eye towards building school spirit and belonging.  Please know that everyone at the school is here to serve you (students and their families).  Don't hesitate to reach out to any of us.  Throughout this year, you'll receive installments of our school newsletter.  When you receive the link to this newsletter, thank you in advance for taking the time to open it and to review its contents.  You'll also be able to set your school communications to arrive to you in the language of your choice.  


As you prepare to return your student to the school, one of our areas of emphasis this year will be regular attendance at school.  The comedian Woody Allen once said "80% of success in life is just showing up."  If that's the case, then it's likely that the other 20% is following up.  At Moses Lake High School, we believe that showing up matters.  At Moses Lake High School, we will also follow up with our students, in all sorts of ways.  We worked on a system addressing a perennial cause of student distraction: the cell phone, last year.  We'll continue our efforts on that account.  Teachers and students alike shared that they were more engaged in classroom activities and course content when they did not have a cell phone at their desk.  This year, we'll be working on a fair system for supporting students arriving to their classes on time.


Every one of our students matter and so our work will involve interacting with, challenging and engaging with students and their families.  In service to this work, we welcome and request your communication with us, administrators, teachers, and staff regarding information and insights into your child's academic, social and emotional growth and success.

It is our primary hope and goal this year that Moses Lake High School is a place the students want to come to each day and end the day with success in all areas of their school life.  It is our hope that the school is a welcoming and warm place for them to live out their high school years.  Thank you in advance for supporting and holding us to that aspiration.


As we start up the school year, I wanted to draw your attention to a few items.


School Calendar:  school events will be posted on the MLHS school website calendar at the bottom of the home page.


School yearbook and ID photos will be taken by Dorian Studios during the first two days of school (Aug 30-31).  


Grades 9-10 will be in school on Aug. 30.  Grades 11-12 will be in school on Aug. 31.  All students 9-12 will be in school Sept. 1.  (Full bus service will be provided for all of those three days.)


There will be counselor returning student/parent drop in sessions, as before, the week before school begins.  (Aug. 23 & 24- divided by alpha groups- 11-2pm & 4-7pm)


We will continue the tradition of the 9th grade welcome BBQ/Hot Dog Social the evening before the start of school (Tues. Aug. 30 5-7pm)


(Please check the school calendar for more specifics on this.). In addition, will be grade-level mailings preparing your student for the beginning of the year in next several weeks.



Together, we ASPIRE ~~  BELIEVE ~~ CONNECT so each student has life-long success.


It's a great day to be a Mav!


Sheila Kries

Principal, Moses Lake High School

[email protected]